Certain types of food and household items can be unknowingly toxic to your pet — read our list of the most common toxins dangerous to your pet below.
If you think your pet has ingested one of the following please contact your vet immediately. If you are concerned your pet has eaten something poisonous not listed please use our online poisons guide for advice.
FOOD AND PLANT TOXINS
- Chocolate – causes heart rhythm abnormalities and nervous system signs (eg excitement, tremors, seizures). Just 15g of dark chocolate can be toxic to a 10kg dog.
- Onions – cause anaemia by destroying red blood cells.
- Garlic – believed to have a similar effect to onions.
- Macadamia nuts – in dogs, cause weakness, inability to stand, vomiting, depression.
- Avocado – fatal in birds and rabbits. Avocados contain a substance called persin which is highly toxic.
- Grapes and raisins – can cause kidney failure in dogs.
- Raw or undercooked meat – diarrhoea and/or vomiting (due to Salmonella or e.coli bacteria).
- Fungal toxins (mouldy food) – diarrhoea, tremors, seizures.
- Bread dough – disorientation, depression, weakness, coma.
- Acorns – diarrhoea, kidney failure.
- Lilies – have been shown to cause kidney failure in cats.
- Brunsfelsia – (“yesterday-today-and-tomorrow”) – diarrhoea, seizures.
- Oleander, rhododendron, azalea, crocus, foxglove, hyacinth bulbs – Heart problems.
- Antifreeze – causes kidney failure, cats and rabbits need to ingest only very small amounts to show symptoms.
- Tea Tree Oil – depression, weakness, incoordination, muscle tremors.
- Pyrethrins, Permethrins – usually found in supermarket / pet shop flea products, toxic (especially to cats) if ingested; causes salivation, tremors, and seizures.
- Paracetamol (panadol) – toxic to the liver and interferes with oxygen transport, can be very quickly fatal in cats.
- Ibuprofen (nurofen) – depending on amount eaten, can cause gastrointestinal ulcers, kidney failure, and/or seizures.
- Aspirin – can cause gastrointestinal ulcers.
- Bleach and other cleaning products – many of these chemicals are highly acidic or alkaline, and can cause tongue and mouth ulcers when licked by dogs or cats.
- Rat poison– causes blood clotting problems, seen most commonly as internal bleeding, or blood in stools or urine, or vomiting blood.